View our new Local Offer BETA site (opens in a new window) and let us know what you think. email:


Converting a Statement of SEN or a Learning Disability Assessment

The information in this section is to ensure that parents and young people know when they or their child will be transferred to the new Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan system. The Local Authority is required to develop, publish and keep under review a local Transition Plan, in accordance with paragraph 4.6 of the Government's Departmental Advice for local authorities and their partners (September 2015).

The statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs) for young people who have left school were replaced by Education Health and Care (EHC) Plans in September 2014. Since then, no new statements have been issued.

This means that most children and young people who have statements of SEN will have their statements converted to an EHC Plan, provided that they are remaining in full-time education or training and continue to require special educational needs provision greater than the school, college or education provider can reasonably be expected to provide from their delegated resources.

There will be no changes to the arrangements specified in your child or young person's Statement while this conversion process is underway. An EHC Plan has the same requirements for SEN as a statement and gives parents the same rights. When we write to you about converting to an EHC Plan you will be involved in the discussions and have the opportunity to give us your comments and views, including about their school or further education placement.

Further information can be found in the Derbyshire transition plan attached to this page.