View our new Local Offer BETA site (opens in a new window) and let us know what you think. email:


Who can parents and carers talk to?

Sometimes you need to talk to another person to find out what support is out there, or to help you deal with a worry or concern. There are a number of ways to do this.

People who work with your family

If you are concerned about your child's health or the progress they are making, the first step may be to ask someone who knows your child for advice. This could be a health visitor, school nurse, family doctor, children's centre worker or someone at your child's early years setting, school or college. All schools have a special educational needs coordinator, who can talk to you about any extra help that might be needed in school.

Parent support groups

Sometimes you need support from other parents or carers in the same situation. You can search the support for parents and carers category for groups near to you or you may also find support on the Carers in Derbyshire website (opens in a new window)

Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for SEND (formerly Parent Partnership Service)

Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for SEND (opens in a new window) is a free, impartial service which provides support, guidance and information to parents and carers of children and young people who have special educational needs and disabilities. You can contact this service via email: or tel: 01629 533668.

Umbrella Independent Support Service

Umbrella Independent Support Services (opens in a new window) will provide support for young people and parents/ carers through the introduction of the assessment process in developing Education Health and Care plans (EHCs). Support will be provided to:

  • young people or parents/ carers of children being assessed for an EHC plan
  • young people or parents/ carers of children with a statement of SEND transferring to an EHC plan
  • young people with a Learning Disability Assessment transferring to an EHC plan.

The support will be provided during the assessment and planning process. The support provided will be impartial and time-limited, this will help parents/ carers and young people to:

  • understand the SEND reforms and the new EHC process
  • contribute to assessments and take an active part in the decision-making process
  • access support from a wide variety of external services
  • understand the processes for resolving disputes, attending mediation and the routes to appeals and complaints.

You can contact Umbrella via email: or tel: 01332 785658.

Multi-agency teams

Multi-agency teams include workers from a range of different backgrounds who can help children, young people and families to overcome difficult situations. They offer information, advice and support, including how to improve poor attendance at school, challenging behaviour or other relationship difficulties and much more. You can search the support for families section to find your local multi-agency team

Carers in Derbyshire website

We teamed up with experienced family carers, health and voluntary sector services, including Derbyshire Carers Association, to create the Carers in Derbyshire website (opens in a new window) which aims to be a one stop shop for carers who are looking for information, advice and support services.

Call Derbyshire

If you can't find the information you're looking for or need help to know which services could meet your or your child's needs, you can speak to an adviser at Call Derbyshire tel: 01629 533190.

Contact a Family

Contact a Family (opens in a new window) is a national charity that helps families of disabled children and offers support, advice and information regardless of the child's medical condition or situation.

They have a wide range of information for parent and carers. This ranges from medical information (including an A-Z of medical conditions (opens in a new window)), parent and carer rights and advice and support. Contact a Family can link parents and carers of children with similar medical conditions together for support and can put parents in touch with local support groups.

Parents can contact the free telephone helpline for more information on tel: 080 808 3555.

Carers Direct

If you need help with your caring role, you can contact Carers Direct (opens in a new window) which offers confidential information and advice for carers. You can email the helpline (opens in a new window) / talk to an adviser online (opens in a new window) or tel: 0300 123 1053.