View our new Local Offer BETA site (opens in a new window) and let us know what you think. email:


Adult care housing options

Depending upon a client's needs there are a various housing options that could be available for young adults.

General Needs Social Housing

District and borough councils have the statutory responsibility for housing in their area. They can provide general advice about social housing and housing for rent in the private sector. Many district and borough councils now work with local housing associations to develop and manage the social housing in their area. See the individual council website for details.

Housing-related support

This programme funds various specialist types of housing for people with specialist housing needs. It includes provision for people with mental ill health, people with drug or alcohol dependency, people experiencing domestic abuse and many others.

In addition the programme provides workers who can come into someone's home and help them with housing related support. The scheme aims to help people stay independent. There is more information about this programme on the housing related support section of the council's website.

Supported living

This type of accommodation enables a person with learning disabilities, or other disabilities, to live with a group of others in the community while receiving assistance as required from support workers. There is more information about supported living in the independent living section of the council's website.

Shared lives

This type of accommodation enables a person with a disability to live with a family who can provide them with support. This can be short-term or long-term. There is more information about this in the Shared Lives section of the council's website.

Help to live in your own home

If you are struggling to manage in your own home and would like some support you can contact Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190 to discuss your needs with a specialist worker. They can advise you about support and services that may be available to help you to remain independent.