View our new Local Offer BETA site (opens in a new window) and let us know what you think. email:


Planning for adult health services

All children and young people with Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans in Derbyshire, and those without EHC plans who have a learning disability and/or significant health needs, should have a health transition plan to help them prepare for adult life.

Where an EHC plan is in place, transition planning will happen through the annual review process, and will involve all the relevant health professionals working with the young person. Where there is not an EHC plan in place, it is the responsibility of every health service working with a young person to ensure that transition planning takes place, and to identify a key worker to coordinate transition planning where necessary.

Health transition planning should include planning to ensure that the young person will be able to access health services which are not directly linked to their condition or disability − for example GP, dentist, sexual health services, advice about healthy eating.

It should also include planning for the transition to specialist adult health services, where there will be a need to access specialist services in adulthood. Adult health services are organised differently from children's services, and in some cases, there may not be a directly equivalent service. The transition from children's to adult health services can also take place between age 16 and 25 depending on the service. This makes good transition planning all the more important.

All young people with a learning disability aged 14 to 17 will have an annual health check with their GP. This will help GPs to get to know young people who may normally see a paediatrician up to their 18th birthday, and make sure that appropriate arrangements are being made for them to access the support and health services they need in adult life.

You can find more information about health services for children and young adults.

You can find more information about transition planning in Derbyshire.

What if I'm not getting the support I need to plan for my or my child's adult health needs?

The first step is to talk to the health professionals working with you. If you still feel you're not getting the support you need, you can contact the Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for SEND (opens in a new window) (formerly Parent Partnership Service) or Healthwatch (opens in a new window) who can advise you or raise you concerns with the appropriate NHS bodies.