View our new Local Offer BETA site (opens in a new window) and let us know what you think. email:


Carer services

We appreciate the hard work that family carers provide and want to support carers. There are various services that you can access as a carer.

Carer's assessment

Carers who wish to have an assessment should contact Call Derbyshire, tel: 01629 533190.

A carer's assessment will look at the care provided and will look at what we can offer as a means of support. This assessment can lead to provision of:

  • information about training available
  • practical help
  • support to enable you have a break from caring.

Carer's emergency card

This card records personal details about the person cared for so that in the event of a carer emergency someone else can be contacted. This gives peace of mind knowing that help will be provided. You can apply for a carer's emergency card (opens in a new window) or by contacting Call Derbyshire or Derbyshire Carers Assocation (opens in a new window).

Welfare benefits

If you care for someone who receives Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate of the care component you may be able to claim a weekly carer's allowance.

Claiming Carer's Allowance can sometimes affect certain other benefits received so it is recommended that advice is sought before making a claim. Please contact our welfare benefit team tel: 01629 531535 or email:

Carer's respite service

We can provide a break for carers either by offering the cared for person alternative accommodation for a period or by providing care into the person's home. Contact Call Derbyshire for more information, tel: 01629 533190.

Carers' support groups

There are a range of organisations available across the county that can provide support to carers including young carers. You can find out about your nearest group by contacting Derbyshire Carers (opens in a new window).

Carer's Break Awards

A carer's break's award (or personal budget) is an amount of money awarded to you, to give you a break from your caring role. It is not means tested and if your application is successful, you have a wide choice about how the money is spent.

Parent carers

Parent carers are parents with a disabled child or young person. The following organisation provide support for parents.

Fairplay offers support to children and your people up to 25 years and their families. Tel 01246 203963.
Umbrella provides support in Amber Valley, Erewash South Derbyshire and South Dales. Tel: 01332 785658.

Young carers

Young carers are those under 18 who support another family member. Derbyshire Young Carers Services can offer someone to listen to you.

  • activities
  • help to liaise with other professionals.

For more information tel: 01246 207752 or 01332 370430.