View our new Local Offer BETA site (opens in a new window) and let us know what you think. email:


Welfare benefits

Our adult care services provide a welfare benefit team that can help to ensure that you are getting all the benefits that you are entitled to. The team can be contacted by phone between 11am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday on tel: 01629 531535.

The Citizen's Advice Guide (opens in a new window) on the Citizen's Advice website has a section that provides details about a number of different benefits and tax credits you may be able to claim in the following circumstances:

  • If you are aged 16 plus and you have a long-term health condition or disability that affects your ability to live independently, you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment.
  • If you are under 16 and you have a health condition or disability that means you have more care or supervision needs than other children your age, you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance.
  • If you are unable to work, you may be able to claim Statutory Sick Pay or Employment and Support Allowance.
  • If you work, you may be entitled to Working Tax Credit.
  • If you were injured at work or have an industrial disease caused by work, you may get benefits.
  • If you were injured serving in the Armed Forces, you may get benefits.
  • If you care for someone who is disabled, you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

In addition you may be able to get other benefits as well, depending on your circumstances. You may be able to get benefits for being on a low income like Housing Benefit or benefits because you have children. You may also be able to claim Council Tax Reduction to help with your council tax.

Even if you cannot claim any benefits, you may be able to get national insurance credits if you are unable to work or you are a carer. The Citizen's Advice website also has more information about National Insurance - contributions and benefits.

Also, if you are disabled, you may be entitled to other help apart from benefits and tax credits. For example, you might get cheaper public transport, parking concessions and practical help with care from your local council. You also have the right not to be discriminated against at work or when you receive goods or services.

Derbyshire discretionary fund

The Derbyshire discretionary fund (opens in a new window) provides emergency financial help to residents in crisis who need an urgent payment for food, heating or travel. If the application is successful, the applicant will receive a pre-loaded payment card or voucher. Applications need to be made via the telephone on tel: 01629 533399 Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm or use the online application form. More information can be found on the Derbyshire County Council website.

You will find details of other organisations that can provide information or assistance with money or finance matters on the support for families section of the Local Offer.

Free school meals

Could your child be eligible for free school meals (opens in a new window)?  In these difficult financial times, we want to make sure you're getting all the help you're due. To find out if your child (or the young person themselves, where appropriate) is eligible to apply for free school meals complete the simple online form (opens in a new window).

If you would like to speak to someone about free school meals, please contact the Derbyshire County Council Free School Meals Team on tel: 01629 536481.

Universal infant free school meals

From September 2014 all children in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England started to receive a school meal at lunchtime free of charge. You do not need to register your child for this. Please contact the school for further clarification or contact Derbyshire County Council on 01629 536481.